A close examination of the photo above reveals large amounts of mold on the underside of the roof sheathing.
What caused the mold and why did it thrive in this attic space?
1. The insulation was improperly installed over the soffit vents, blocking air from entering the attic.
2. Three bathroom vents were depositing large amounts of moisture directly into the attic space.
3. The ridge vent was not installed properly. Felt paper was covering the opening at the ridge, trapping the moisture in the attic.
How was this problem discovered?
A routine inspection of the attic by a Deer Park Roofing sales associate revealed this problem. The homeowner in this case received other estimates for roof work that did not address this problem. The importance of a thorough roof inspection and evaluation cannot be overemphasized.
What was done to correct the problem?
1. The roofing materials and roof sheathing were completely removed.
2. The soffit vents were cleared of insulation so they could properly function.
3. New roof sheathing was installed to the entire house.
4. The bathroom vents were re-installed to exit through the roof instead of into the attic space.
5. Hip and ridge vents were properly installed to allow moisture to escape the attic space.
Hip roofs can be difficult to ventilate since the ridge area is small. The use of a power vent or Hip & Ridge vents is recommended on these style houses.
Understanding thermal movement in residential metal roof systems is key to long-term performance Roofing contractors often are amazed at the time-tested craftsmanship of sheet-metal systems that are removed from historical structures. It’s not uncommon for some of these systems to…
Several factors contributed to problem roofing area in the above photo. Even though the shingles were in good condition and installed properly, leaks were occurring in the winter months due to ice dams. To remedy the situation, the homeowner installed…
Rubber (EPDM) Roof Repair Deer Park Roofing, Inc. was contracted to perform maintenance to this commercial property located in downtown Cincinnati. The first photo shows the Rubber (EPDM) ballasted by concrete pavers. The roof had several leaks and was in…
Hail Damage to Roof Systems Hail storms can cause significant damage to all types of roofing systems, including asphalt shingles. Hail damage to roofs can be identified by discovering distress marks on the surface of the roof. In the case…
Shingle Recycling Program Something New to Recycle – Your Old Roof Deer Park Roofing is doing everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint and develop sustainable practices, including asphalt shingle recycling. Landfills everywhere are overflowing with construction debris…
Solder A metal alloy that is used for permanently bonding metal flashings together. The word solder is derived from the Latin term solidare which means “to make solid”. Most solder, especially used in a roofing application, is made up of…